Saturday, February 6, 2010

Corrections from John

To All...

Correction #1:

When looking back over the e-mails that I sent to all of you last night, I caught some errors that need to be corrected. Samuel Wheatley was the son of Alexander Wheatley, but I mistakenly omitted him from the "lineup" that I put together for easier understanding, so here's the corrected version:

Alexander Wheatley (my great, great, great, great grandfather)
Samuel Wheatley (my great, great, great grandfather)
Francis Marion Wheatley (my great, great grandfather)(married Mary Ann Fox)
William Harris Wheatley (my great grandfather)
John Fox Wheatley, Sr. (my grandfather)
John Fox Wheatley, Jr. (my father)
John Fox Wheatley III (myself), along with Jane Anne, David, Sylvia, and Maria.....and all of our respective families and descendants that you're already familiar with.

Correction #2:

When describing my grandmother, Mrs. John Fox Wheatley, Sr. and her mother, Lady Bird Shapard, I apparently had some "typo" errors, so let me clarify to avoid confusion.

PyPy's father, John Fox Wheatley, Sr.(we called him Dandy), was married to Jane Shapard Marks (we called her Mimi). Mimi's maiden name was Marks and Mimi's mother's maiden name was Shapard. Mimi told me that her mother was fondly called "Ladybird." Mimi told me when I was a young child that she had become the acting mother of her two brothers, David and Tom Marks, due to the sickness and premature death of her mother. I don't have any other factual information at this time on the history of the Marks or Shapard families during that era.

All of the other available information from the Wheatley book is already included word for word in the earlier e-mails.

I apologize for any confusion caused by my error and "typos", and I hope the above corrections resolve those matters.

Addition:

The last section of the "Wheatley book" deals with the Fox family in order to properly map out their role in the Wheatley family. The cover page of that section simply reads: The Fox Family of Marshall County Tennessee and the section is 28 pages in total. Since our only involvement as direct descendants of the Fox family starts with Mary Ann Fox, who was married to Francis Marion Wheatley in 1855, and I have no knowledge of any interaction between the Fox family and the Wheatley family in more recent years, I will focus this "addition" on Mary Ann Fox and her direct ancestors as shown in the Fox section of the "Wheatley book".

The next page in the Fox section reads: The Fox Family, Descendants of John Fox (1784-1850) and wife Martha Harris (1786-1870), natives of North Carolina.

Appropriate excerpts from subsequent pages yield the following information for our understanding of the Fox family as it relates to our direct ancestors:

John Fox: born 3-6-1784 in North Carolina and died 8-26-1850 in Tennessee was married to Martha Harris, who was born 7-8-1786 in North Carolina and died 10-27-1870 in Tennessee. The headstone of John Fox states "An Elder in the Christian Church" and are buried in the Jackson Cemetery in Maury County near Leftwich Bridge south of Duck River. They were apparently involved with the Cedar Creek Church, which was organized in June of 1841. A new church has since been build within the limits of Maury County called Antioch, which has taken the place of Cedar Creek.

John and Martha Harris Fox had 8 children, including Joel Gideon fox, Pervines Fox (our direct ancestor), Jane fox, Diannah Fox, Joshua Fox, John Fox Jr., Harris Fox, and Frances Fox.

Pervines Fox was born 3-25-1810 in North Carolina, died 8-16-1887 in Tennessee, and married his first wife, Narcissus Bennett, on 7-21-1888 and she is our direct ancestor. Pervines Fox later married two more times....his 2nd wife was Frances Clymore whom he married 2-13-1849 (born 10-4-1831 & died 11-1-1857), and his 3rd wife was Frances Breechen whom he married 10-11-1858 (born 11-12-1811 & died after 1887).

Pervines Fox and his first wife, Narcissus Bennet Fox, had 5 children including William Fox, Martha Fox, Pervines Fox Jr., Mary Ann Fox (our direct ancestor), and Jackson Fox.

Mary Ann Fox (born 11-6-1837 & died 5-14-1881) married Francis Marion Wheatley on 3-14-1855 and this is the point at which the Fox family became part of the Wheatley family. Further information about direct descendants of Mary Ann Fox relating to our modern Wheatley family is covered in my earlier e-mails about the Wheatley family.

I hope the above explains to your satisfaction the role of the Fox family in the history of our direct ancestors. Further detail is available in the "Wheatley book", which we can look at more closely or make plans for you to make a copy for yourself at some future date.

Love
John Wheatley in Montgomery

No comments:

Post a Comment